About this guide
The objective of this guide is to present a step-by-step framework to support countries to design and assess green recovery and green economy options that build on NDC processes and incorporate climate action
The following framework aims to:
- help practitioners use existing tools to align NDC measures and climate policies with COVID-19 recovery plans and measures and to streamline financing for key programs;
- help formulate processes to develop sustainable recovery plans by guiding the selection of NDC and other climate measures based on their economic, environmental, and social dimensions; and,
- provide practical implementation guidance by addressing political engagement, financial feasibility and monitoring of green recovery plans.
The framework is organized as follows: definitions of the main concepts are presented first, followed by step-by-step guidance with references to key tools that can help countries align NDC and recovery packages.
By proposing a process that guides countries in formulating sustainable recovery plans, the framework takes a step beyond developing an inventory of relevant tools for aligning NDC measures and climate policies with COVID-19 recovery plans and measures. Indeed, it offers recommendations as to when and how these tools could be used, identifies gaps, and proposes additional tools and methodologies to address them.
- Step I: Understanding context and needs
- Step II: Aligning climate-COVID-19 recovery
- Step III: Securing societal and political support
- Step IV: Financing and implementing
- Step V: Monitoring and Evaluation