Mapping Nature for People and Planet in South Africa: Inception Workshop
How can we use spatial data to identify nature-based solutions for biodiversity, climate and sustainable development in South Africa? Join us for this invitation-only virtual consultation that will bring together diverse stakeholders in South Africa to answer this question.
40 participants expected
9, 10, 14 and 15 of June, 2021
Three to four-hour sessions
How can we use spatial data to identify nature-based solutions for biodiversity, climate and sustainable development? In this international virtual consultation, decision makers and spatial data experts will work with world-class scientists and international policy experts to answer this key question in South Africa.
We are pleased to welcome you to the consultation! This virtual meeting room will allow you to:
- Download basic information and key documents for the workshop
- Access the link to join all the workshop sessions on Zoom
- Watch the video recordings of each session
- Interacting with other participants via a forum
- Continue discussions and peer-to-peer exchange after the end of the live sessions
We will meet throughout the virtual workshop using this Zoom link.
- Identify and prioritize where policymakers can take nature-based actions to meet national biodiversity and sustainable development commitments related to the Convention on Biological Diversity, the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification, and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development;
- Validate ELSA potentials at the local level for recovery, in line with the response to generate recommendations applicable in the short term;
- Identify the global and national data sets needed to develop the analysis;
- Apply systematic conservation planning methods using GIS software to achieve this vision with rigorous, cutting-edge science;
- Assess the policy context, map key stakeholders, and provide clear steps for using data to meet policy commitments.
Virtual consultation logistics note: access essential information to prepare you for our next workshop