Course type: Dialogue series
Languages: English, Spanish, Portuguese
Dates: 18, 19, 27 October 2021 at 10 AM ET / 4 PM CET
Sessions: 3 sessions
Commitment: 60-90 min per session
Partners: Environmental Governance Programme, UNDP's Regional Hub for Latin America, Stockholm University, Global Alliance of National Human Rights Institutions, UN Environment Programme, Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (UN Human Rights)
In partnership with the Stockholm University and UNDP in Latin America and the Caribbean, the Environmental Governance Programme is convening a dialogue series on the implementation of the Regional Agreement on Access to Information, Public Participation and Justice in Environmental Matters in Latin America and the Caribbean (Escazú Agreement).This dialogue series is co-sponsored by the UN Environment Programme (UNEP), Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (UN Human Rights), and Global Alliance of National Human Rights Institutions (GANHRI), as part of a broader partnership on the UN General Secretary Global Call for Action on Human Rights.
The Escazú Agreement entered into force on Earth Day 2021 after being ratified by half of its 24 signatory countries. This dialogue series will seek to catalyze action to implement the Escazú Agreement in synergy with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and biodiversity-related Multilateral Environmental Agreements. This initiative has been financed by the Swedish International Development Agency (Sida) as part of the Environmental Governance Programme (EGP).
To inform the dialogue series and its discussion paper which will be shared with the participants and other stakeholders interested in the Escazu Agreement, human rights, and the environment, we invite you to fill out a short anonymous survey. We greatly appreciate your time and input.
The dialogue series will seek to:
- Distill lessons learned and good practices by Latin American and Caribbean countries that can serve to implement the Escazú Agreement and achieve positive outcomes for people and nature.
- Outline innovative tools and examples of national jurisprudence and existing national laws and policies, and grounds-up initiatives that advance the realization of the right to a healthy environment.
- Catalyze knowledge exchange on how to implement the Escazu Agreement in coordination with the UN Secretary-General’s Call to Action for Human Rights and the 2021 EU Parliament Resolution which calls on the EU Commission and Member States to support Latin American countries to deliver on the agreement's goals.
The dialogue series consists of three sessions. All events will start at 10 am Eastern Time/4 pm Central European Time.
- Opening and Roundtable 1 - 18 October 2021: Escazú Agreement’s regionally rooted legal innovations: Why they matter for people and nature and what’s next? (90 minutes)
- Roundtable 2 - 19 October 2021: The Escazu Agreement in an interconnected world: Catalysing global collaboration for Escazu Agreement’s effective implementation (60 minutes)
- Peer-to-peer workshop - 27 October 2021: Escazu Agreement across States and UN agencies (limited spaces, 90 minutes)
Registration is required for attending the sessions. To learn more about the sessions and register, select the session(s) you are interested in in the Course content section below.
For more information or if you have any questions, please contact the organizing team at [email protected].