The United Nations REDD Programme (UN-REDD), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and UNITAR are excited to offer you a self-paced course on the Fundamentals on REDD+.
This course is one of two courses offered by the REDD+ Academy. It provides the basis for a good understanding of REDD+ principles. The second course, “Advancing on REDD+,” provides content for a deeper understanding of how countries can benefit from applying REDD+ at a national level. Overall, the two courses provide an overview of key REDD+ issues with the aim of empowering participants to contribute to a well-informed national REDD+ process.
Both courses are aimed at REDD+ decision-makers in economic and policy areas, in sectors such as agriculture, energy, mining, finance and development planning. Other REDD+ stakeholders, such as civil society and academia, will also find useful information in these courses.
By the time this course is completed, you will be able to:
- Explain the role of deforestation and forest degradation in the process of climate change
- Define REDD+ aspects in the context of the UNFCCC
- Explain the importance of analysing and prioritizing direct and indirect drivers of deforestation and forest degradation
- Explain the relationship between policies and measures (PAMs) and the five REDD+ activities
- Describe the process of developing a National REDD+ Strategy or Action Plan
- Identify a variety of perceptions of REDD+ finance in each of the three REDD+ phases
The course on Fundamentals on REDD+ is structured around six modules. Lessons 1-3 present a general introduction to REDD+. Lessons 4-6 present various REDD+ elements which are required under the UNFCCC, and explain how to prepare and implement REDD+ at the national level.
- Lesson 1: Climate Change and the Role of Forests
- Lesson 2: Understanding REDD+ and the UNFCCC
- Lesson 3: Drivers of Deforestation and Forest Degradation
- Lesson 4: Policies and Measures for REDD+ Implementation
- Lesson 5: National Strategies and Action Plans
- Lesson 6: REDD+ Finance
Course completion requirements
To receive the certificate of course completion, participants must:
- Complete six online lessons
- Pass six quizzes
- Complete the course survey
Certificates of completion
In order for our site to issue the certificate, all the activities must be marked with green checkmarks. Once each activity in your course room contains a green checkmark, the certificate will be automatically generated and will become available for download in PDF format directly from this page.
If you have any questions about this course, please contact the Learning for Nature team at [email protected].[user]Welcome[/user]